Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Something is Happening Exhibition

Arranging an exhibition, allows one to see a work or body of work in a new context. A photo that has become familiar by being observed on a screen countless times, and in conjunction with many similar photos appears very different when singled out, framed against a white wall and arranged next to the work of others. The title "Something is Happening" for the show is based on the Bob Dylan song Ballad of a Thin Man. As much as I love Dylan, I don't think that the phrase "Something is Happening" is a fitting description for the body of work. Our assignment for our photo set was to address the obliviousness of the general public to a significant change in our environment and to critique our surroundings. Dylan's understanding of change is way different than many of our critiques in the Lawrence environment and I don't think the title really gets the point of environmental critique across. 

Setting up the exhibition was a good experience because it allowed me to see my work in a professional setting and be in the position of showing my work to others I am not close to. There were moments that I felt slightly awkward at the opening when I was in the room with several other visitors and, feeling obligated to be present in the room, wasn’t sure if I should re-look at the work of my peers or “entertain” the visitors. Nothing surprised me about the process of setting up for the gallery show since I have done several small class shows like this before. The curation of the show inspired me to think about how whimsically I would set up a gallery room if I had it for my work alone. 
Rob Neilson examining my photo "Replacer"

No comments:

Post a Comment