Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Experimenting with Experimental Video


"Time" has ceased, "space" has vanished. We now live in a global village...a simultaneous happening...Information pours upon us, instantaneously and continuously. As soon as information is acquired, it is rapidly replaced with still newer information"-Marshall McLuhan

In creating with my video, I became interested in the relationships I could form between unconnected sound and imagery. I did not have an end-goal in mind while capturing footage for the video but rather decided to film what was in front of me on several different occasions. In my video I juxtapose different interpretive dances next to each other and combined this with audio that I filmed. The different dance clips act as a response to the narration/ music and to each other. I played with the idea of time and space by overlapping dancing footage to create a multiple exposure effect, by speeding up parts of the video and by having the majority of video clips be action packed and a disorienting less than 10 seconds. 

A week ago, I initiated a “Performance Art Night” in my house where there was interpretive dancing, story telling (with the narrator acting out all the characters), a collective singing of the National Anthem and Bad Poetry reading among other things. Most of the footage was taken from here. Since my house is filled with a number of experimental souls it made sense to me to find inspiration in their activity and merry-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment