Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Gym Culture



In my set of Gym Culture photos I explore gym mentality and acceptable ways to look and act while working out around others. For the photos I have constructed scenarios of conduct that would draw attention in exercise facilities. Gyms are typically sterile, quiet places with isolated individuals that are very focused on their machine of use and work out routine. In the photos, I bring up ideas of self-consciousness, physical appearance and multi-tasking while working out as well as the oddity of exercise methods and equipment. The exercise equipment in the photos are treated as machines and tools of excitement that offer the ability to not focus on being physical while in the act of it.

The message of my photos is self-evident through my use of satire. I work with McLuhan's idea of "Humor as a system of communications and as a probe of our environment--of what's really going on--affords us our most appealing anti-environment tool. It does not deal in theory, but in immediate experience, and is often the best guide to changing perceptions." Through my photos I am not asking for a major social change in the way that people work out--I watch the TV while on the treadmill also-- rather these photos are a reflection on the subtly odd ways that humans acts when in the act of becoming "fit". 

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea behind this photo set. Instead of going an abstract route, your photos are very explicit and intriguing. I like how blunt the message is and the photos are whimsical at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The images that include the trumpet are the most compelling, in my opinion, though my favorite is the image of your model planking on weight balls. I adore absurdism, and I want really badly for you to go even more absurd with your posed workout routines. Eating food while walking is ironic, but knitting on an exercise ball is so much more engaging. When the opportunity arises for you to carefully compose your images, absurdism can be your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really fell in love with your photo set, the concept is so great! I've been waiting for someone to do a set like this for a while and am really happy to see it executed so well. You have an eye for composition that I'm really excited to see more from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite images were the ones taken in the racquetball court. The others may suffer from the fact that the wellness center is itself not the most intriguing environment to shoot in. Nevertheless, you manage to create amusing subjects in each image that bring an element of absurdity to the bland setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.
    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete