Monday, April 7, 2014

Carol Emmons


Fake flickering candles next to tarot cards, small cradles filled with large metallic pearls, dice and raffle tickets, and old gaudy clocks, text of ambiguous creation mythology. The room seemed like a collection of readymades of discarded spacecraft equipment and thrift store finds. Sun Ra might have approved.

According to Carol Emmons, creator of the work, "I am interested in the apparatuses and fallibilities of varied ways of knowing the universe, and these approaches as lenses through which to experience the world". Emmons is interested in creating "large-scale, site-specific, participatory installations" that challenges the viewer's relationship to their world.

I did not entirely understand the intention of what was in front of me in the gallery space. The objects were uncanny and interesting aesthetically and I appreciated the way that the architecture of the room was taken into consideration. I would like to hear more about Emmon's reasoning for choosing certain objects and grouping them together in the way that she did in order to relate them to the universe. Many objects seemed to be connected to concepts of fortune and chance while others while others suggested aspects of myths and cosmos, but I didn't see clear conceptual understandings of other pieces. 



specific objects relating to chance and fortune that she did. 

6 comments:

  1. Same here, I would love to hear why she chose the certain objects she used in her gallery. I didn't understand the gallery in its entirety, and when I looked through her website and past galleries, I didn't understand her works there either. I can understand her idea of relating art back to the person using everyday objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did notice something very essential to understanding her piece though. Although you might not understand it all completely due to not being able to hear straight from her the explanation, I think you could maybe think of it this way: Using relatable items, such as the objects you stated above, it would be easier for us, the viewers, to be a part of the reimagining of the universe's beginning. Seeing these quotes and installations, we are forced to think about their relevance to the world's beginning. In doing this, we are actively a part of the art as we are forced to create a bridge in order to interpret it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of the comments below, and offer the following challenge: you say you don't understand the artist's intention, but perhaps that WAS her intention; to capture the mystery of the cosmos (insert sci-fi noise here)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish the exhibit had been more participatory. It seemed that much of her past works were sort of look around and touch and explore and look through cool holes in things, but this one was much less so. I like what Emma said about her "lack of understanding" reflecting our "lack of understanding, blahblahbah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too had little idea what I was walking into...other than that it seemed other-worldly. I appreciate your real reflection on Carol Emmons' show and like your balance between observation, appreciation, and critique. Yes to Chris, Emma, and Sarah Jane's thoughts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is very useful for me.I really like you post.Thanks for sharing.
    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete