Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Contemplating Life and Death in a "How to" Video

For my "How to" video I demonstrated the process of separating egg yolks from egg whites. I called this "Contemplating Life and Death" because of the inanimate/ life-like/ visceral quality of eggs have, the duality of the yolk and egg whites, and because moving the egg yolk back and forth between the egg shells seemed like a "contemplating" gesture. Separating eggs seemed fitting for the project since it is very banal, like a lot of "how to" videos. I liked the idea of having a set-up similar to a Martha Stewart cooking show but having a sardonic undertone to it, by commenting on death.


3 comments:

  1. Your video is spot on. The choice of title adds a profound element to the simplicity of the task at hand, allowing the viewer to interpret the message in a broad range of ways - a sign of a great piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was certainly a piece of art. I thoroughly enjoyed how I could get sucked in to making interpretations about which part of the egg represents life or death, and why, but then I would pull back and say to myself, "Yo it's just eggs". So on one hand there are many ways to interpret the actions, but on the other hand there is a very strong aspect of social transparency. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete