Monday, April 14, 2014

Public Communication

Technology and Media can blur boundaries of privacy. For my project, a friend and I improvised a conversation in the cafe about personal matters that many people would not want to receive attention for. In the conversation, we nonchalantly discussed suicide attempts, experiences with abortions, acting sexually online, having STDS, having a boyfriend in prison and a father that slept with a best friend. At many points during the conversation both of us intentionally become distracted by ourselves (hair or nails) or our cell phone and become less engaged, even though the other person is talking about a seemingly important subject.

I am not trying to poke fun of the topics in the conversation or say that these are things that people should be embarrassed about and I hope that is clear in the video. I chose these as examples of what many students would not to share with acquaintances online or want to discuss in front of or with others that they are not close to. I think that this would have been more of a "performance piece" if the camera were not visibly right next to us. I could have made this more performance-arty by having the camera not visibly next to us and by speaking a lot louder so that those around us could obviously hear what we were saying.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the classes observation that in order to better execute your intention of arousing reactions from those around you, the conversation should have seemed less staged and the camera in a place where it captures others' reactions. But your project seemed to take an interesting turn and I found the relational aesthetic aspect of your work to be the reactions that we, the class, as viewers we were watching it. It definitely made me feel uncomfortable at times, but also made me laugh. So your project still maintained that relational aesthetics idea, but more so between the video and class audience, and perhaps even among you and Cansu as it was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this as a social experiment. As an artist, I think you should consider taking this to another level, make it more personal and less artificial. If I were to embark on such an experience, I would be interested to see how far I could push myself out side of my comfort zone, and the effect that could have on others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing website. thank for sharing the link.
    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete